Welcome to Archives and Special Collections
| The Morris Raphael Cohen Library
| North Academic Center (NAC) :: Room 5/301
| (212) 650-7609| Fax: (212) 650-7604
|ALL Libraries WILL BE CLOSED:
Monday, February 13th
The Archives and Special Collections Division was established in 1960 and is maintained in a controlled, secure environment which includes ample compact moveable shelving.
The archival collections document instruction, teaching, research, alumni and student life at the College through institutional records, publications, memorabilia, faculty papers, photographs, blueprints and media. Biographical information is collected on distinguished alumni, including the nine Nobel laureates who are City College alumni. These collections actively serve the City College community and are of continuing interest to scholars studying the history and sociology of higher education, as well as to biographers and journalists.
The Special Collections include the Russell Sage Collection of over 100,000 reports and publications issued by social welfare organizations active in the United States from the late 19th Century to 1940. Some European and Latin American materials are also included. Other collection strengths include books on clothing and costumes from around the world, the Thomason Tracts (140 pamphlets printed during the English Civil War), Restoration and 18th Century drama, and early 20th century British writers.
There is also a small but choice collection of 17th and 18th century titles in the fields of astronomy, mathematics and chemistry.
See Collections >>
The City College was founded in 1847 as the Free Academy of New York through the vision and activity of Townsend Harris, later the first United States Minister to Japan. Since 1961 it has been the flagship institution of the City University of New York (CUNY). The College offers programs in the liberal arts, engineering, architecture, education and biomedical education.
From its original location near Gramercy Park, the College moved to its present campus on St. Nicholas Heights in 1907. The collegiate gothic buildings, designed by George Browne Post, are on the National, State and City registers of historic places.
represent the practical and the fine arts.