THE LIBRARY IS OPEN ONLINE! While our physical spaces remain closed, the CCNY Libraries team is working remotely to make library resources and services available online.
Rome wasn't built in a day and that goes for your research paper! It is normal to revise your search terms as you conduct research. Here's why:
1. Brainstorm a research topic -- what is the main idea you want to write about in your research paper? Try different words and phrases to define your topic. Rank the keywords in your topic in order of importance.
2. Get overview and background information on your topic -- use general and subject-specific encyclopedias, broaden or narrow your topic, find key search terms to use.
3. Identify the types of resources you need (print/electronic books, journal/magazine articles, images, statistics).
4. Search for information. Start with the CUNY+ Library Catalog using the box to the left to find books, and the databases listed below to find articles.
5. Evaluate information and sources (accurate, timely, appropriate for academic research papers).
6. Cite your sources.